Configuration Manager Status Messages viewer blank

Sometimes in Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (ConfigMgr) an issue crops up where the fix is not obvious. The ones that the natural logs and console checks won’t spell out what is the issue. Today I want to share an issue which falls into that category where a customer had a problem the Configuration Manager status messages viewer which was giving no results.

Note: If you did not want to read more about the steps I took to fix this issue and just want the fix

Written by

Harry Lowton

Harry Lowton

Enterprise Mobility Consultant

on

17th Oct 2016

The case of the blank Status Messages viewer

Let’s have a look at the problem in hand:

  • Navigate to Monitoring / System Status / Status Message Queries
  • On the query All Status Messages, Show Messages was selected and the date and time for today.
  • After the query ran, the results were blank:
 

I looked at the log SMSProv.log for any issues running the SQL queries to find status messages. A couple of errors appeared  for example:

ERROR>: CSspQueryForObject::ConvertWBEMTimeToDBTime invalid wbemtime

 

This error made it look like there could be an issue with WMI. WMI was checked and was seemingly having no issues, so this was not the case.

I could also see that the SQL query was executing correctly from the log file against the SQL Database.  The SQL query is as follows:

Select all SMS_Query.QueryKey,SMS_Query.Name,SMS_Query.WQL.Comments from Queries AS SMS_Query where SMS_Query.Architecture = N’SMS_Status Message’

 

It was confirmed that status messages were coming thick and fast into the environment after looking at statmgr.log (Statmgr.log records the writing of all status messages to the database).

What do we know so far: Messages are flowing, and SQL queries can run correctly, but the messages are not processing.

It was time to check the Inboxes to see what is happening to all these state messages. The Inbox is where the gold mine was found.  Under \\<PrimarySite>\SMS_<Sitecode>\inboxes\statmgr.box\retry there were 47,344 items waiting to retry.

 

The last status message in the retry box was from 28/07/2016 almost two months before troubleshooting this issue. The site had not processed status messages for two months.

 

The Fix

After the discovery as shown above it was evident our issue here was that the messages were not processing. Luckily this was an easy fix.  This is what I did:

  • Stopped SMS_Executive – From Run > Services.MSC > Stop SMS_Executive or from an administrator PowerShell  Stop-Service SMS_EXECUTIVE
  • From \\\SMS_\inboxes\statmgr.box\retry I cut out the oldest record by date in this case 10ndhyg1.sql

  • After cutting out the oldest status message in the retry box, it was time to start the SMS_EXCECUTIVE again.
    • From Run > Services.msc > start SMS_EXECUTIVE or from administrator PowerShell console Start-Service SMS_EXECUTI
  • The state messages now processed. After completion, the Configuration Manager Message Viewer could see the latest messages

Note: In your environment, you may need to remove more than one state message. For your information when I cut the state message from the retry box I put into an archive folder.

Hope this helped let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Harry Lowton

Keep Up To Date - Join The Mailing List

The team are here to help

If there are any questions and want to learn more about PowerON’s services or Solutions, please get in touch and a member of the team will be in touch shortly. 

  • PowerON, Stanley Harrison House, York, YO23 1DE
  • 0800 3029280
  • info@poweronplatforms.com

Contact PowerON

Leave a Reply